Manage your funding award


Making a change to your project

If you need to make a change to your project you can request to do so at any time during the funding period.

Any request to change a funding award with one of the research councils is known as a grant maintenance request.

Grant maintenance requests must be made through Je-S. See the Je-S handbook guidance on grant maintenance requests for full details about how to do this.

We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted many applicants and award holders.

See our guidance on COVID-19 for changes to funding deadlines, extensions and other support you can get.

Staff-related extensions

A staff-related extension is a request to extend due to a change in circumstances for anyone designated to work on a project.

This could be:

  • someone leaving their post unexpectedly and a delay in the appointment of a suitable replacement
  • maternity, paternity, adoption, shared parental or paid sick leave
  • extended jury service
  • a change in working patterns, for example, from full to part-time.

You can only request the time that is actually required, for example, the period taken for parental leave.

Exceptional extensions

You should use exceptional extensions for anything not related to staffing.
This could be for unexpected delays in a project, for example:

  • failure of a piece of equipment
  • issues with the laboratory or building you are using
  • unforeseen problems with the collection of specimens, samples or data
  • unforeseen problems in acquiring ethical approvals or permits
  • a lack of specialist available facilities that are necessary to the project.

You can only request the time that is actually required and will need to give dates.

Grant suspensions

You can request a grant suspension if work has temporarily stopped on a funded project and it is unclear when it will start again.

Reasons for grant suspensions could include:

  • a member of staff going on parental leave and no-one else actively working on the project
  • a major building issue, such as a fire, which means all work has stopped and is unlikely to resume soon.

If you are awarded a grant suspension, you should not incur any costs related to the funding award during this time and no payments will be made to you.

Grant holder changes

Some research grants allow you to change the named grant holder.

You will need to provide evidence that the replacement:

  • meets the eligibility criteria
  • has the expertise and experience to lead the project.

Funding for individuals, such as fellowships, cannot be changed.

Grant transfers

A grant transfer or change of principal investigator request will need to be made if the principal investigator of a funded project moves to a new organisation.

There are two options. Either:

  • the grant goes with them to their new organisation
  • a new principal investigator for the grant is appointed at the original lead organisation.

If the grant is to be transferred to a new organisation, that organisation will need to:

  • be eligible for UKRI funding
  • have the required facilities to carry out the research.

This includes if you are moving overseas and want to transfer your grant to a new organisation through the Money Follows Researcher scheme. Find out more about transferring your grant to another country.

As the grant will need to be reconciled at the original research organisation before the remaining funds can be transferred, you will need to allow at least four months for the process to be completed.

Last updated: 16 April 2021

NOTEThis is the first phase of our new website – let us know if you have feedback or would like to help us test new developments.