All our employees have a contract of employment. The purpose of the contract is to set out the terms and conditions of their employment, including employee rights and responsibilities.
HR policy informs UKRI terms and conditions of employment. UKRI has agreed a revised HR policy framework with the trades unions, based on legacy research council harmonised HR policy, and including local HR policies.
We harmonised HR policies in January 2014 to ensure that employees across the research councils shared a common HR policy framework. This applied to AHRC, BBSRC, EPSRC, ESRC, NERC and STFC. MRC Head Office joined in April 2016. Research England migrated onto the harmonised HR policy framework in April 2019 and Innovate UK joined in September 2019.
Here are our 2020 HR policies:
- appraisal and personal development review policy (PDF, 115KB)
- attendance and leave policy (PDF, 397KB)
- code of conduct (PDF, 352KB)
- ending work policy (PDF, 244KB)
- equality, diversity and inclusion policy (PDF, 112KB)
- employee wellbeing policy (PDF, 49KB)
- family leave and pay policy (PDF, 260KB)
- guidance on supporting transgender employees in the workplace (PDF, 172KB)
- guidance on managing bereavement in the workplace (PDF, 121KB)
- grievance, harassment and bullying policy (PDF, 343KB)
- health promotion policy (PDF, 207KB)
- human resources delegation framework (PDF, 175KB)
- human resources policy framework (PDF, 117KB)
- learning and career development policy (PDF, 120KB)
- managing performance and conduct policy (PDF, 173KB)
- pay and reward policy and guidance (PDF, 925KB)
- personal property policy (PDF, 67KB)
- prevention of illegal working policy (PDF, 253KB)
- probation policy (PDF, 219KB)
- recruitment policy (PDF, 161KB)
- safeguarding policy (PDF, 112KB)
- sickness absence policy (PDF, 366KB)
- transfers and secondments policy (secondments only) (PDF, 133KB)
- travel and subsistence policy (PDF, 161KB)
- ways of working policy (PDF, 83KB)
- working location policy (PDF, 146KB)
Notice of revisions to HR policies
The notifications below describe revised HR policy, which legacy HR policies have been incorporated and which local policies remain, pending continuing review. Associated policies are also listed, typically information systems, health and safety, pay and reward and governance.
- Notice – MRC head office (PDF, 28KB)
- Notice – Innovate UK (PDF, 25KB)
- Notice – ESRC (PDF, 25KB)
- Notice – EPSRC (PDF, 25KB)
- Notice – NERC (PDF, 35KB)
- Notice – BBSRC (PDF, 29KB)
- Notice – AHRC (PDF, 25KB)
- Notice – STFC (PDF, 29KB)
- Notice – Research England (PDF, 25KB)
- Notice – UKRI (PDF, 25KB)
In developing revised policies, we focused on:
- delegation of decision-making should be to line managers, and the revised HR delegation framework allows for this while recognising differences in structure across UKRI
- harmonising policy across UKRI while ensuring that there is no detriment to existing employees. Harmonisation across nine research councils presents challenges so a working group representative of HR and trades union colleagues and line managers worked through each policy to ensure that both UKRI and its employees’ interests were considered and protected while ensuring compliance. We are using the same approach and structure to manage the HR policy framework in the future
- reviewing local policy and incorporating these into UKRI policy where possible. There will continue to be a limited amount of local or research council-specific policy and guidance, either because this is specific to a site or function or because there is a legacy requirement to do so. The revised policy framework has fewer policies with the bulk of local policies integrated into UKRI HR policy.
We also issue other policies that are applicable to employees which employees must have access to, including but not limited to governance, finance, health and safety, and information systems:
- acceptable use policy (PDF, 213KB)
- conflicts of interest (PDF, 341KB)
- counter fraud and bribery policy (PDF, 494KB)
- data protection policy (PDF, 189KB)
- employee intellectual property, consultancy work and conflicts of interest policy (PDF, 75KB)
- equality and diversity guidance for research funding (PDF, 45KB)
- gifts and hospitality policy (PDF, 352KB)
- health and safety policy
- investigating allegations of misconduct in research policy (PDF, 555KB)
- modern slavery and human trafficking policy
- personal use of social media policy (PDF, 63KB)
- whistleblowing policy
- trades unions’ recognition agreement (PDF, 565KB).
Right to work in the UK
We will publish HR policies for UKRI employees only on this page. This is to ensure that our policies are up-to-date at all times. Local news pages will link through to this site. Only research council-specific HR policies will be published on research council websites, and only if these policies are specific to the site or where any legacy arrangements are still in place.
If you are a UKRI employee and have any queries relating to HR policy, contact UKSBS on 01793 867 000 or your local HR team.